Reclaim New York is looking for someone like you. We’re seeking a Communications Intern who is ready to take step one in their journey to speak up for policy that empowers people to hold government accountable, and make their lives more affordable.
You should have a strong interest in public relations and public affairs. You will help amplify the voices of New Yorkers who want to build a better future here, and want government at every level that doesn’t stop them from doing so.
You will assist, and often lead on media relations efforts, writing, crafting creative concepts for all platforms – written, visual, and audio, audio/visual editing, event organization and execution, project management, research, media list creation, and more.
Bring passion, attention-to-detail, and a willingness to learn and grow.
You must be a degree-seeking student for this position. The internship requires a minimum of 20 hours per week, at Reclaim headquarters.
WHO WE ARE
Reclaim New York is a non-partisan, non-profit organization focusing on affordability, education, and government reform across New York. We provide civic education on complex policy issues and we empower New Yorkers to engage their state and local government. Most importantly, we’re a group of New Yorkers that believes deeply in helping citizens reclaim ownership in their relationship with government.
Since our public launch in 2015, Reclaim has grown quickly across the state. Our New York Affordability Project shows New Yorkers the personal, bottom-line impact of all their taxes and basic expenses. And our New York Transparency Project trains local citizens to increase transparency and accountability at every level of government.
- Ability to learn quickly
- Genuine interest in communications, policy, and outreach. (This is not a social media-focused position, we have a separate digital intern position for that).
- Ability to write clearly, strong grammar
- High reading comprehension
- Research skills – whether it’s history, law, science, what matters is ability to find accurate, relevant information and check sources.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines with quality work.
- Interest in public speaking, or mass media communications is a plus.
- Experience working with Office Suite, Google apps, basic audio/visual editing software, and website backend platforms is a major plus.
Projected start date: ASAP
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/mission of the organization
Materials should be emailed to Jhoryn@reclaimnewyork.org. All materials should be sent in one PDF file with your full name in the file name. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.